Malto dextrin acts as dispersing aids, flavor carriers, bulking agents, humectants, viscosifiers. They can work in a wide variety of applications from dry mixes to fillings and sauces to beverages. Due to their osmolality, they can be a valuable source of nutritive carbohydrates.
Maltodextrin is a polysaccharide that is used as a food additive. It is made from refined cornstarch enzymatically by advanced processing technology and is usually found as a creamy-white hygroscopic spray dried powder. Maltodextrin is easily digestible, being absorbed as rapidly as glucose, and might be either moderately sweet or almost flavorless.
Maltodextrin consists of D-glucose (dextrin) units connected in chains of variable length. The glucose units are linked with α(1→4) bonds. Maltodextrin is typically composed of mixtures of chains that vary from three to nineteen glucose units long. Maltodextrin are classified by DE (dextrose equivalent) and have a DE of 20 or higher, mostly between 5 to 20.
• Product name: Maltodextrin
• Molecular Formula: (C6H10O5)n
• Product Grade: Food grade
Physical & Chemical Properties
1. White powder with yellowish shadow , no irregular shape, no visible impurities by naked eyes, With the Flavor of Maltodextrin.
2. Well fluidity, no particular smell; Well solubility with proper mucosity.
3. Low hydroscopicity, less agglomeration, Good carrier for sweeteners, aromatizer, stuffing.
4. Emulsification and consistency ; improving the shape and structure of food.
5. Easy absorption suitable as food stuffing for the invalid as well as the olders and infants.
6. Good stableness against recrystallization.
• For the confection, it can improve the taste, tenacity and the structure of foods, preventing recrystallization and extending shelf life.
• The beverages are scientifically prepared with Maltodextrin, which add more flavors, soluble, consistent and delicious, and reduce sweet taste and cost. There are more advantages of these kinds of beverages than that of the traditional drinks and foods such as ice-cream, fast tea and coffee etc.
• As a nice stuffing or carrier, it can be used in infant foods for improving their quality and heath care function. It is beneficial to children and infants.
|Sulfur Dioxide Residual
|| ≤30 mpn/100g
|| 2 years
The chemical structure of Malto dextrin falls somewhere between the complex polysaccharide chains of starch and the simpler molecules of sugar. They do consist of a mixture of different saccharide polymers by virtue of the hydrolysis process.
A starch molecule undergoes enzymatic or acid hydrolysis or a combination of the two. This cleaves the molecule into smaller, random-length chains. Malto dextrin is a purified concentrated aqueous solution of nutritive saccharides obtained from edible starch, or the dried product derived from said solution and having a dextrose equivalent (DE) less than 20.
Malto dextrin fall in the lower DE range, they supply little or no sweetness. They are fairly blended, although they sometimes provide a low level of flavor. They are relatively inert to heat, pH and other process conditions, such as shear.
Malto dextrin with a low DE contains a larger amount of longer straight and branched chain units; it tends to exhibit characteristics more in line with those of starch, such as viscosity. As the DE increases and the level of lower molecular weight products increases, this means that a number of characteristics of Malto dextrin are related to the DE.
It is used in food industry, bulking agent fat replacer, medical/nutritional purpose. Malto dextrin as a no sweet nutritive saccharide polymer that consists of D-glucose units linked primarily by alpha-1,4 bonds and that has a dextrose equivalent (DE) of less than 20. It is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by partial hydrolysis of Corn starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes.